Friday, February 22, 2019

On Cheap Thrills and Guilty Pleasures


I grew up in the halcyon days of family television in the 60’s.  Our family would gather around the television each evening after dinner and watch our favorite prime time shows until it was time for bed.  Each fall we would await the new lineups with eager anticipation.  Some of my favorites:  Man from U.N.C.L.E, I Spy, Secret Agent, Bonanza, Walt Disney Hour, Get Smart, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction.  I could go on and on because there were SO MANY!

A few years ago, in a moment of misguided nostalgia, I had Netflix deliver the first season of Man from U.N.C.L.E.  I watched the pilot episode for about 10 minutes and then put the DVD back in its package and out for the mail.  It was unbearable, even with all the pent-up desire to reminisce and relive my youth.

I was essentially a TV addict as a child.  Fortunately, my interest in sports and girls (not always in that order) overcame that addiction in late high school.  By college I was clean, and for many years I rarely watched TV.  Other hobbies and passions seemed to have more value to me. 

TV slowly crept back into my life after marriage, but by this time I was a bit more discerning in my viewing habits and very conscious of a certain hierarchy in my choices of entertainment.  Karen, who had rarely watched TV in her youth, and I had a few TV shows that we indulged in over the years - Cheers and ER come to mind – but we made a decision to ditch TV completely once our daughters were born.

Like a former alcoholic, I am now a bit self-righteous about my choices of entertainment, though I am in this, as in most things, a bit of a hypocrite.  At some point I began to demean much of mass media as being a ‘cheap thrill’.  I had become a snob, believing that serious literature, art films, and more sophisticated music (not pop!) were the only media worth one’s valuable time.

This conversion, though generally a salutary development in my life, came with a nasty side effect.  Whenever I engage in any activity that does not measure up to my somewhat arbitrary set of standards, I feel guilty.  After having only watched movies for many years, Karen and I began to sample some of the modern television series a few years ago.  We have seen several that we enjoyed tremendously – Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men – to name a few.  But once we opened that Pandora’s Box, the question of how much TV is bad looms large in my life again.

Is it better to read a good book than to watch TV?  Is it better to watch an artsy foreign film than a Hollywood blockbuster with ever-more-spectacular special effects?  Is it better to play guitar or take a walk than to do any of these?  How many guilty pleasures should we allow ourselves?  Is there really a hierarchy of entertainment or is it all self-delusion?  Is spending all day playing video games no less virtuous than hiking in the mountains?

I suspect I am a bit obsessive about these questions.  I am not sure why I struggle with guilt when I spend time doing anything that I don’t view as ‘worthwhile’.  Perhaps it is my regret over a somewhat misspent youth – a sense that I could have accomplished more in life if I had been less self-indulgent.  Or perhaps it is my ever-increasing awareness of my mortality and with it a need to make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment